Iglesia
Today, I went to the church, Santo Sacremento, where I will be living and working part-time. Things are starting to sink in more that I'm really living here for a year. The congregation is building an apartment for me. It's not quite finished, but the pastor showed me anyway. He said it will be finished in 3 days. It's really pretty and so great to finally see where I'll be living.
Everyone at the church was very welcoming and seemed excited to meet me. We had lunch at the church after the service - empanadas and pizza. After eating, two of the ladies asked me to help them with something. I followed them to the kitchen and they put a large cake in my arms for me to carry to the room where everyone was eating. Then, I helped them put candles in the cake. It felt like I really belonged when they asked me to help them with the cake.
The cake was for the children with August birthdays. A lot of the children don't get birthday cakes at home, so the congregation has a cake for them. A lady in the congregation told me about a time when a child was so happy to have a birthday cake, he cried and asked to take some of it home (and of course they let him).
Worship this morning was the same format as the Lutheran services at home with the confession and forgiveness, etc. It was nice to have something familiar in the midst of all the new stuff - people, culture, language, etc.

2 Comments:
At 9:52 AM,
Colleen said…
Awesome - glad you made it there safely!! Rachel I am so happy for you and your new opportunity to live and work with the Argentinian people. You will definitely learn lots of Spanish and much about their culture while you are there. Thanks for remembering us!
We started Intermediate Spanish 2 class last Tuesday - we have a full class. We will continue to keep in touch via your blog.
In HIM,
Colleen - Health Department
At 6:43 PM,
Karen said…
Just received the newsletter with your blog info. I'm looking forward to reading your posts.
Oh, I just read the posts from your trip to Spain. Sounds like you did a lot of the same things I did when I went in 1987. Some things never change... ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home