Traveling with Rachel

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Correo Argentino

My parents sent me a package a few weeks ago and I have anxiously been awaiting its arrival. On Friday, I got in from my run after work and Elena was walking across the courtyard to bring me a slip from the mail carrier. She told me that I needed to go get a package from the post office and gave me directions. I was really excited and got ready as quickly as I could to make to sure to get to the post office before it closed. I found the post office with no problems. As I went to open the door, I discovered it was locked and their was a lady on the other side of the door trying to get out. She told me through the glass to ring the bell, so I started looking for a bell to ring. I didn't see it at first, so she was trying to direct me to the bell. I found the bell and someone in the back of the post office buzzed me in (and the lady trying to leave was able to get out).

I got into the post office and people were sitting there waiting. Only a few people were actually at the service windows. I looked around for some sort of sign instructing me to sign in or something, but didn't see anything. I asked someone waiting and he pointed me to where I needed to pull a number and then wait on my number to come up. I felt like I was at the DMV - take a number and wait.

I didn't have to wait long, but when I gave the lady the paper I received in the mail, she told me I had to wait until the next day since I had received the notice that day. I was a bit irritated, but at least I knew how the post office worked, so I was prepared to go back on Saturday to get my package.

At 1:10pm on Saturday, I was getting ready to walk out the door and happened to double check the hours for the post office and realized it closed at 1:00 on Saturdays. Oops. I had to wait until Monday.

First thing Monday (yesterday) morning, I went to the post office. I got up to the window and handed the lady my paper and passport. She went to the back and after a couple minutes came back without my package. She handed me a piece of paper to sign and write my address on. Then, she handed me another paper to keep and told me that my package had arrived and I could leave. I was confused and asked her where it had arrived and she just kept saying it had arrived and motioning for me to leave. I realized that I wasn't supposed to pick up my package from this post office and finally figured out that I had to go to the main post office in the Capital to get it. (Luckily, I already had plans to go into the Capital today.)

With the help of Chris, I found the post office this afternoon. I knew the process of taking a number and waiting. When I got to the service window, I had to sign another form and show my passport. She handed me a slip with my package number on it and told me to go to the next room to wait on my number. This was a large room with lots of chairs and a lot of people waiting. I thought we were going to be waiting all night for my number to come up. After about 20 minutes, my number was called and I had to go into the back area to claim my package - after waiting in another line, of course.

I was so excited when the lady took my slip and came back with a box instead of another piece of paper! I went back to the waiting area and Chris and I opened the box and crammed the contents into my book bag and shoulder bag (there was a lot in the box) for the train ride home.

It felt like I was on a scavenger hunt to find my box of goodies, but now I know how to navigate the postal system here! (And so do you!) :)

2 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Mom said…

    And we have learned how to send packages internationally - not a fun process with the customs form. And it's not cheap!! You may only get letters from now on :)

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Haha! Geez that's a crazy story. I'm so glad that you were able to finally get your package! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home