Traveling with Rachel

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No Water

Today was a quiet day at the comedor. When Beto picked me up this morning, he told me that there wasn't any water at the comedor because something on the water tanks broke and it was going to be really expensive to replace it. It had been broken all week. There was water for cooking, but no water for the bathrooms or even to drink. As a result, very few children ate at the comedor today and the only children who were there after lunch were a few children of the ladies who work in the kitchen. A lot of people still came to get food to take home, just not as many stayed to eat.

I spent my day dusting off and organizing books in the library at the comedor. The books had just been piled on the shelves and were in no order at all. I don't know when the last time the books were actually used. There is a very thick layer of dust on everything. I have to wipe each book off individually before putting them in order on the shelves. I started working on this a little bit last week. When I began, I was trying to put the books in some sort of order by topic, but Beto later told me wanted them arranged by size because some of the shelves were higher than others.

As we were leaving this afternoon, Beto told me that there was water at the comedor again. Instead of having to replace whatever was broken, it had been repaired. Beto explained it was good it could be repaired because there was no money to pay to replace it.

Hopefully, tomorrow things will be back to normal at the comedor since the water is working again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home