Traveling with Rachel

Friday, October 16, 2009

Los Pibes de MAMA

Today, as we were leaving the comedor, Beto was telling me about the bread factory that MAMA runs. He said he would drive me by there on our way home because it was in the neighborhood and he wanted me to see where it is. We drove by it and I was asking so many questions that Beto turned around and took me inside to show me the place. He introduced me to all the guys that were still there working and one of them gave us a tour.

The name of the company is Los Pibes de MAMA. They bake hot dog buns (large & small), pizza crusts (several different kinds), and regular bread. They also have some other bakery items (cookies, etc.), but that wasn't included in my tour. During the tour, I thought it was cute that Beto "translated" everything for me (i.e. he repeated everything to me in Spanish). The factory is huge with a lot of large ovens, mixers, warmers, and so on. It was the end of the day when I was there and they were shutting things down, so I didn't get to see the work in progress. I was invited back, however, to see it up and running.

The other week, I learned that MAMA runs an hogar (home) for children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse/neglect. From what I understand, it's like foster care in the States, except there is no possibility for these children to be reunited with their families, unless they return after they age out. Anyway, everyone who works at the bakery, comes from the hogar - people who have aged out. The bakery is a work co-op for these young adults. There is an hogar beside the bakery where the workers live. All the products made there are sold in the grocery stores around here or individuals can go directly to the bakery to purchase items. All profits made from selling the bread goes to paying for utilities and up keep of the factory, whatever is left after the bills are paid is divided among the workers.

I asked Beto about funding for MAMA since the profits from selling bread products only go to the bakery. The organization receives funding from different sources - some government funding and a lot of donations from individuals.

At the end of my tour, I was given a stack of pizza crusts as a gift. I am constantly amazed at the generosity of the people I meet here. I showed up uninvited, unannounced to the bakery and was given a detailed tour, a gift, and I was invited back!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Mom said…

    What time will the pizza be ready?

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Lunch time on Dec 26 :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home